Blog site setup question
    Hi all,

I am setting up a blog site on a particular topic. I plan to start making blog posts on the topic for a bit and eventually monetize the site with product reviews, Adsense ads, a store, etc.

My question is, how should I setup the structure of the site? My first inclination is to start with a Wordpress blog on the home page, but if I eventually expand the site with additional sections (Reviews, Store, etc.), with a more store-like home page, would it make sense to place the blog in a sub-directory from the start? Will it compromise SEO if I move the blog to a sub-directory later?

I hope this makes sense. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Spyponder

Will it compromise SEO if I move the blog to a sub-directory later?
    I would try to get that all ironed out at the start if you can. Moving it later will mean that what ever you have indexed at the time will be lost when you change the URLs.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    You really have to determine what you want to emphasize on your site the blog part, the store, etc. Make the part that is the most important as your root install so it shows up when you go to your domain online. Everything else can be linked to it.

Why not put the reviews in Wordpress? If you are selling your own products then consider how. If you are just doing a simple PayPal button you could do that in Wordpress too. If you are going to be installing a separate store application then again you have to decide which is more important and link the other to the first.
    I recommend keeping each online application in its own database.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyponder
    Hi all,

I am setting up a blog site on a particular topic. I plan to start making blog posts on the topic for a bit and eventually monetize the site with product reviews, Adsense ads, a store, etc.

My question is, how should I setup the structure of the site? My first inclination is to start with a Wordpress blog on the home page, but if I eventually expand the site with additional sections (Reviews, Store, etc.), with a more store-like home page, would it make sense to place the blog in a sub-directory from the start? Will it compromise SEO if I move the blog to a sub-directory later?

I hope this makes sense. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Spyponder

I do product reviews in Wordpress, no problem. Definitely decide your permanent structure before you start though - moving it later, as I have learned myself, is a major hassle (and yes, it can definitely affect your SEO). I've heard it recommended that putting the blog in a subdirectory is not as good as having it right at the root for SEO.

If you're going to need more than just a blog down the road though, have you considered a CMS like Joomla?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

My question is, how should I setup the structure of the site? My first inclination is to start with a Wordpress blog on the home page, but if I eventually expand the site with additional sections (Reviews, Store, etc.), with a more store-like home page, would it make sense to place the blog in a sub-directory from the start?
    It depends on how much focus you want to give the blog after you add the other sections. When a visitor comes to your site, what do you want to show first? I can think of at least a few sites that work very well with a blog as the main focus, even though there are other significant sections beyond the blog.

Thanks all for your responses. I am leaning toward using the blog as the home page; the blog will be the main focus of the site to start, and will always be a big part of it so I think having it in the root directory makes sense.

Regarding Joomla, I know my hosting provider includes it in the package; I have never used it but will take a look.

I'm setting up a site right now with WordPress in the root directory.

I've got a static front page, have the blog posts going to one called "newest merchandise." The posts are going to be "Make a Page" type products and links, mostly Shareasale. The sidebars and some of the content will be done on WordPress "Pages," not "posts."

I will have categories and subcategories listed in the sidebar. When someone clicks on the category or subcategory link, WP will serve the items I've posted up on what appears to the visitor to be a page.

In addition, I will put some templates for individual merchant datafeeds in folders on the site and link them into various sidebars, pages, and even posts within the WP blog.

In effect, I'm using WP as a CMS. I think -- I'm just plotting it all out and getting it started, so I don't know for sure -- that I can integrate products, content articles, reviews, and the whole works into the WordPress install within the root directory, linking to more specific or detailed datafeed sites set up in folders.

I'll let you know more as the project progresses.

Oh, yeah, I got some of the ideas for this from an ebook an affiliate marketing acquaintance of mine published recently. She graciously gave me the opportunity to critique the manuscript as she was finishing it, and passed along a free copy of the finished version. It specifically offers instructions for using WP to build an affiliate marketing site.

So far, at least, the process has been relatively painless and kind of fun.
    Generate more fake news.

Writerguy, can you PM me the hame of that eBook? (I don't have PM priveleges yet).

Thanks
    Spyponder

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC

If you're going to need more than just a blog down the road though, have you considered a CMS like Joomla?
    'Ya know ... I think I have Joomla on my fantastico (a case of too many choices, so little time) now that you're mentioning it -- what is it that you like about it?

Thanks!
    Andrea

Oh and writerguy ... BIG thank-you for outlining how you will use Wordpress as a CMS via pages, etc ... I have this love/hate relationship with Wordpress and you make me wanna give it another try

Best,
    Andrea

It's funny, I've never gotten to the point of launching any site I've built with Joomla or PHPNuke or PostNuke... but it wasn't due to the software at all, it was just that I lost interest in those particular projects and moved on to something else. That said, I've tried those three CMS's, and Joomla is definitely easy to use, easy to set up, has great community support for learning, and a TON of available themes to use and personalize. The learning curve isn't too steep, either.

I think that I'm pretty set into using site software for all my sites now... I'm too busy and I've got a two-year-old at home, so building my own sites from scratch like I used to do is out the window. I can use Wordpress as a CMS (and I do), but whenever I come up with an idea for a site I always ask myself if I'll be building it in Wordpress or in Joomla. I pretty much limit myself to those two choices
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Writerguy, can you PM me the hame of that eBook? (I don't have PM priveleges yet).

Thanks
    Spyponder
    Hi, Spyponder. I don't think I can send you a PM if you don't yet have PM privileges. But if you want to go to one of the sites in my sig file and send me a "Contact" message using an email you want me to contact, I'll be happy to swap email with you about it that way. Will that work for you? (Now let me make sure I have "Contact" pages set up at both those sites ... Yup. Both sites have working "Contact" pages. (Funny how I never thought before to check that those "Contact" pages actually work. Duh.)
    Generate more fake news.

Hi Writerguy,
    I just sent you a note via your contact page - Thanks!

Spyponder -- I'd agree with the thought that you could probably pull off the entire project using a blog format. It should be flexible enough to meet your needs (which will evolve as the blog/site grows anyway -- after all, no plan survives contact with the enemy) *and* planning around a blog format should mean that while the structure of your content may change over time, you should not be at risk to lose the value of any indexing you've managed from start-up.

Just my $0.02.

Is anyone using the Redirection plugin for WP? It is a URL cloaker/redirect with stats and sounds good but I was hoping to find someone here who had tried it?

How about Wordpress themes - does anyone have opinions they would care to share on which theme characteristics lend themselves to AM better than others? For example: number of columns, fixed or fluid width, etc.?

Thanks!
    Spyponder

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    How about Wordpress themes - does anyone have opinions they would care to share on which theme characteristics lend themselves to AM better than others? For example: number of columns, fixed or fluid width, etc.?

Thanks!
    Spyponder
    Have you mapped out on paper how you want everything to appear, where you want ads and navigation, etc? You'll probably end up answering your own question.

You'll need between 1 and four columns and either fixed or fluid width :-)

/agree with Lost... choosing a WP theme is no different than choosing a non-WP website layout. Depends on what you want, what you're promoting, who your audience is... there's no flat answer to the question "how many columns should I have"
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

understood, just looking for opinions, best practices, etc.

thanks

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread