Removing Expired and Defunct Store Feeds
    I'm sure that I'm not the only affiliate who received several "merchant removed" notices from PopShops this morning.

Some of them appear to have been removed because I (and perhaps others) took the time to notify PopShops Support either that the merchant was defunct (but hadn't yet closed their network account nor deactivated their datafeed), or that the merchant's status was "offline more often than online."

I encourage other affiliates to notify PopShops Support when they notice a problem with any PopShops merchant or datafeed. Your efforts help me, just as my efforts help you and all other PopShops users.

I am also going to take a closer look at merchants who offer a datafeed but aren't included in PopShops' feeds, because my research thus far suggests that for many of these merchants, there is a clear reason why the feed hasn't been picked up, and this is a helpful clue for me in deciding which merchants to work with. (Often, I find that the datafeed is invalid, as I discovered for BiggerBooks, or is so dated that it seems unlikely to be current.)

Of course, many merchants also choose not to work with PopShops for business reasons that don't impact me as an affiliate, so it's certainly not a "deal-killer" when I'm working on my non-PopShops sites or PPC.

Mark has been an enormous help in weeding out merchants that should not be PopShops both because they have expired feed and/or making an "editorial" decision that the constant back and forth between online and offline is unreasonable.

Thank you Mark!

Currently, I have to do the "culling" manually when it comes to SAS (for a number of reasons), so it really is an enormous help when the community lets me know there is an offline feed.

Hopefully we will have an automated system in place sooner than later, but because of some challenges in the SAS system, for now it's up to me.

Jessie

What I still don't understand is the merchants with data feeds but no images. I've never seen an image come through for Kohl's ("image coming soon" placeholder is all) and also in the apparel category, very very few images are provided by Baby Phat. It sure makes working with them next to impossible.

I resorted to saving a few of their images to my server and just using Popshops for the title, description, price, etc but that's a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    What I still don't understand is the merchants with data feeds but no images. I've never seen an image come through for Kohl's ("image coming soon" placeholder is all)
    Kohl's hasn't updated their datafeed since August. I've complained a couple times, but nothing is being done. If you've got a contact there please complain to them because this is unacceptable.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Joyaz : Some merchants don't have images for all their products (a few seem to have almost no images at all). Have you checked the "source" datafeed at the network?

For me, the bigger problem is the "broken image." Quite a few merchants have invalid picture URLs for many of their products. Perhaps it's just me, but when I view any web site that has broken-picture icons, I perceive the entire site as "broken" and I generally stop shopping.

more re: Kohl's
    I tried creating some Kohl's product links with the affiliate tool at Performics called their Product Showcase Creator (http://performics.afftools.com/kohls/creator.pl).

That produces broken images as well and when I click through, I get "Sorry! This link is not active" error messages. I did email affiliate@performics.com and think I will try any email address I find at Kohls.com too.

I guess I could create a different style in popshops just for merchants with no images, but I doubt I'd get many clickthroughs on those pages.

Lightbulb
    I've had to use text-only links for a lot of pages. I wish an office supply company would fix their database (about 20-50% missing).

I'm working on a collection of "battery" pages today, and notice that Pacific Geek has a lot of broken-picture icons in its SAS feed.

And at the moment none of my pages with popshops will load. I'm trying to work on some Super Bowl related stuff. Hope this outage is quick.

Well that was quick - they're back now. Back to work......

I am going through manually and checking all of the SAS feeds. I am going to be getting a resource to do this more frequently and will probably be a little more aggressive about pulling any merchant that has a more than a couple of online/offline bounces in a given period.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread