Godaddy Affiliate Question
    I have a question, I recently signed up as a Godaddy affiliate. However I have noticed that the web is full of promo codes. If I send traffic to Godaddy from my website and they use a promo code do I loose my comission ?

Thanks,

MyGame

I'm pretty sure that they don't pay commissions on orders that use non-affiliate coupon codes. Also, based on a recent personal order, I don't believe they pay commissions on bulk orders. I had one domain transfer and 50 renewals, and only got a commission on the domain transfer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That was my hunch.

Thanks for confirming.

Yes, they pay commissions on non-affiliate coupon codes. I have had lots of customers use the 20% coupons they find throughout the internet and have received a commission on it. As long as they use your link to go to godaddy, you get paid on the sale amount regardless of coupons used.

I have done it myself and it works just fine. Tracks perfectly as well.

I guess the big question is then how do I know if they are affiliate coupons or not ?

I just did a quick search on google and I find the following godaddy promo codes:

zine3,bLaugh,chill1,chill2,chill3 and the list goes on..

if a user was to get to godaddy from my site and use one of these codes by from what you are saying I would still get my comission ?

I can't figure out why I never get commissions on my own orders, then. Do they not pay on renewals? Maybe that's it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

They definitely don't pay on other sites exclusive coupons. Those are usually from their private program, and they use those coupons to track commissions for that private program, which is why you see some of those same ones spammed everywhere.

ABW Ambassador
    I get paid on my own orders, even renewals (which I do to keep testing). But I click right over from one of my links at the time of purchase.

Webworker, are you using a coupon code also ?

So how do we get our own discount codes?

I spent some time writing up an email (with step by step instructions and screenshots) for an acquaintance who wanted to transfer all their domain names to godaddy from another registrar (using my affiliate link of course). In addition to all my instructions, he picked up a discount code somewhere on the web and I never got credit for what was a sale over $250.00 and quite a bit of time on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by soccermom
    So how do we get our own discount codes?
    Get them in their affiliate mass-emails, or email and ask them for some.

ABW Ambassador
    You can write to them and they will give you codes to use on your website if they approve you for the coupons. As far as I know you won't be paid commissions on coupons you use if you arn't approved for coupon use.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

If the coupon you post is one they don't pay commissions on, they conveniently don't load the tracking pixel on that transaction. I did a test when I needed to renew some of my domains, and that was the result.

I did request a coupon and got a few to use till the end of the month. At which time it was stated that they will review whether to renew or not. That doesn't give me much time to promote them, but it is a start.

I have a site where an article on how to setup an informational website to promote a fund raising/sports event (at GoDaddy of course) could be a hit (as I get a lot of questions on this). I guess it is time to get writing. Just wish I had more time.

Affiliate Manager
    My understanding is that the tracking occurs on the link and not the coupon code, though there may be exceptions if a merchant is able to set up private coupons that are tied to a private offer link. I do not know much about this and would greatly appreciate education from anyone who is knowledgeable.

At Register.com, we set 35-day cookies to make sure that a customer coming through your website will record as a purchase via you.

One of my highest priorities since overtaking management of the Register.com program is to make sure that affiliates are earning every penny you are entitled to. You guys work hard, and don't need the headache of worrying about whether payments are tracked properly.

Feel free to ping me if you want to discuss further.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuakrafchin
    My understanding is that the tracking occurs on the link and not the coupon ............

Feel free to ping me if you want to discuss further.
    I do not have enough posting credits to do so.

Affiliate Manager
    mygame, I emailed you the info you were looking for. Also, feel free to email or call me directly any time.

I have done purchases myself, using a wide variety of coupons, and they have always tracked and paid correctly.

Has anyone had a domain renewal or a bulk order track properly? Perhaps that's why my own orders haven't tracked. Most of them are bulk renewals, usually for 50+ domains.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Michael - I haven't done any bulk renewals but when renewing my domains individually at their times I haven't received credit. I have for all of my new orders that weren't renewals so I had just assumed that we only received credit for new orders only.

Also, I have used the coupons that they email me (the ones for me the person not me the affiliate) for my hosting for a couple of sites that are hosted with them. They haven't received credit but there again I figured it was due to being a renewal that was the problem and not the coupon.

I talked with an affiliate manager for another registrar today, and he said that it's pretty much an industry standard that nobody pays commissions on renewals. That's too bad. I spend quite a bit of money every year renewing domains.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Manager
    I think the renewal commissions conversation is an important one. I would be very interested to talk to other merchants who have implemented commissions on subscription-based products. I think there are several issues here.

1. Upfront money: Most merchants offer large bounties for new customers. Sometimes, these bounties are near in size or greater than the initial purchase amount. Merchants see this as the price of customer acquisition and make money further down the line when the customer's products renew. These large bounties simply wouldn't be possible on a commission renewal basis.

2. Tracking: To my knowledge, the major networks do not support renewal commission tracking. So even if a merchant wants to implement commission renewals, the infrastructure doesn't exist through the networks. The merchant would have to implement a home-grown solution.

3. Is there demand? The big question is whether there is enough demand on the part of affiliates to make developing these in-house solutions worth it. This is something I am very curious about. Are you willing to forego such large commissions on the initial purchase for access to the lifetime value of the customer?

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread