ABW Ambassador
    Wordpress "Recent Posts" Question
    As someone recently posted, I am in the midst of a love - hate relationship with wordpress.

Until today, when I clicked on one of my "Recent Posts" I went to that recent post. Now I click and nothing happens.

I have a zero knowledge of php, so I don't change much at all. Any ideas what I screwed up now?

(I actually bought wordpress for dummies, but it isn't really helpful beyond what I've already figured out)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Do you use Firefox? Sometimes FF can be stupid that way...

ABW Ambassador
    No I'm not at all adventurous. just the current version of internet explorer.
    I have a couple of other wordpress blogs, using the same theme and they are all okay.
    I tried changing themes and that didn't help.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've never seen that happen and I always use Firefox. Have you added any new plugins?

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, no plugins. I'm going to reload the wordpress template and see if that helps.

You can test to see if it is a template issue by switching to the default theme and see if the problem still occurs.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope it's not a template issue. I tried the default theme and I reinstalled my current theme.

I have a feeling PhP for dummies is in my future.

Have you upgraded to a newer version of WP recently? Sometimes I've had a plugin work, then quit working with a newer version of WP.

Actually, I think "Recent Posts" was a plugin I could never even get to work for me. So I guess I'm not going to be much help. Please let us know when you get it worked out what the issue was. Would be good to have that information for all of us WP users out there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was never able to get "Recent Posts" working when I tried it on a couple of blogs. Think I just gave up on it.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    I just deleted my "recent posts" widget. My site actually looks better this way! HOWEVER, I really should know what happened, so I need to figure out what I need to learn next. I think it's PHP, but I'm not sure. I really don't like it, when I don't know how to handle the underlyng code. (Am I right in thinking that PHP is the underlying code?)

No I haven't updated to the new version of WP. (I couldn't figure out how to do it!)

I don't know the answer, but depending on whether the "recent posts" was a choice in your sidebar widgets, or a plugin that you uploaded and activated, the error would be in that portion and not likely something you "did". I am speaking as someone who has accidently broken my site way more than once.

When I get something like that and I can't figure it out, I go to Wordpress and pick through their documentation or do a search in the support forums. I don't usually find exactly what I'm after, but I read enough other stuff to know it's a general problem with that piece, or I accidently learn something else I didn't know.

Concerning the upgrade: The absolute hardest part (and it's only scary, not hard) is deleting your old files before you upload the new ones. Their instructions on the site are actually very good, if you go to Wordpress and when it offers you a more detailed version of the upgrade steps - go to that one. Just leave it up on a separate tab. You'll be done in no time!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Judi and everyone else for the advice and encouragement.

I chose bluehost.com as my webhost, because wordpress recommended their one step wordpress install with fantastico. I haven't dared much else except to select a theme and arrange the sidebar using the widget options.

Today all I did was learn to create pages and subpages. I ventured into the side bar code and changed "sub pages" to "more products"

I can't see why that would make my recent posts stop working.

With the sidebar widget system, you have to choose whether you use the sidebar that comes with the theme (where you can "hack the code") or whether you're going to use the widget. That might be the problem.

You can always just reload that particular file only into that theme and see what happens (the sidebar file).

Aunt Lily, I should probably be getting myself a copy of PHP for dummies too.

Judi, thanks for your informative posts. Glad to know I am not the only one who "breaks" my sites periodically. My experiences have been pretty similar to yours.

I like the ease of rearranging the sidebar in the new version of wordpress. Pretty cool. But, I agree with Judi that it is a bit scary deleting all the old files to upgrade.

Kind of off topic, but related, I've been wondering whether to just get rid of "recent posts" all together. What do you all think? To me, having "recent posts" seems kind of redundant. On my home page, I have all the recent posts listed. Then there are the links to them in the sidebar. What's the point of having them in the sidebar when they are right there on the same page anyway? Does this do visitors any good, or does it just serve to clutter up the page? Thanks in advance for any insights.

So you're using a special plugin for recent posts? I'm using the recent posts that comes as part of Wordpress. If it is a special plugin, then you should try disabling and re-enabling the plugin.

Blue host is not the problem. My websites are on Bluehost and all but one use WordPress. I really can't guess what would be causing the problem without seeing the site and I'd rather not ask for it.
    As far as upgrading goes, It is super simple to upgrade to newer versions of Wordpress. Upgrading probably won't fix the problem though.

1. Disable ALL plugins
    2. Upload the newer version of WordPress on top of your old files replacing the older files.
    3. Re enable plugins
    4. run the "yourdomain.com"/wp-admin/upgrade.php
    5. Update plugins that have changed.

Eventually Fantastico will be updated. If you wait you can upgrade via Fantastico. If you update Wordpress yourself then Fantastico gets confused and says your install is broken although there isn't a problem.

My personal reason to use Recent Posts is when I'm using something other than the most recent posts as my front page. With Wordpress you can put the blog in a different directory and then choose which page you want out front or if you want to show the most recent posts. If I have a specific page for my index, then recent posts in the sidebar might lead to further clicking into the site, which would be good.

Judi, thanks, that makes sense.

Since we are all using Bluehost with the Fantas install, can anyone tell me why the Bluehost affiliate banner won't display correctly on my WP site? Is it a html to php issue? If so, is there a workaround I don't know about?

Since we are all using Bluehost with the Fantas install, can anyone tell me why the Bluehost affiliate banner won't display correctly on my WP site? Is it a html to php issue? If so, is there a workaround I don't know about?

I haven't had any problem showing banners including Bluehost. Check your code and make sure its dimensions fit the space available.

I think it is my brain that isn't fitting the dimensions available. I got it to work. I needed to copy the link to my notepad before putting it into my site. According to Bluehost Tech Support, that makes a difference.

No, I'm not sure why.

I have bluehost banners on my WP sites and WP is a bit picky with where you place a script. Sometimes you just need to put in an extra <p> etc. in the code to make a little room. If it is not working correctly, try grabbing one of the puny little banners I think they are sized 88x31 and see if it will display. Most of the time it will and then you know that it is just the size of the area you are trying to put the banner into.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread