Big difference- same Keyw - Google . Wordtracker
    Hi

I have a question.

I was looking for an idea for an adsense website and I used the google adwords keyword search tool to find a high paying KW with advertisers bidding.

The KW in Google, it gives me average search is about 1/4 bar

I try the exact same KW in wordtracker(free version) gives me 3 searches /day?

How do I make sense of this? Does anyone know what the bar represents in Google?

If I understand correctly, and it's ENTIRELY possible that I don't... Wordtracker can't/doesn't include Google info, so there could be a disparity.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

When I last checked, WordTracker drew its data from a small collection of search engines that does not include Google, Yahoo, MSN, or Ask. Its results come from searches on a number of smaller lower-tier search engines and "search aggregators." The WordTracker site says, "All search terms are collected from the major metacrawlers - Dogpile and Metacrawler."

As such, its results are "useful but not representative."

When I last tested WordTracker, it generated a lot of "spurious" data, which appears to be distorted or skewed by automated keyword-position checkers. (In other words, if a bot queries once per hour for the results of a search for "left-handed socket wrenches in Podunk," then WordTracker shows it as a frequently-searched phrase, even though no humans ever type it).

Of course, Google's tools provide only "vague estimates," and the bars (for relative search volume and advertiser-competititon) don't seem to have very much meaning. (I don't see the same type of "spurious" results in the Google keyword tool results.) But the Google tool often tells me that search volume is very low (or "no data") for a keyword which proves to be a very effective, nice-volume keyword for my campaigns.

I no longer use any "keyword tools" specifically to identify the actual or relative volume of searches. Instead, I just use them to identify as many potential keyword variations as possible, and then I use my own judgment to select from the choices generated. (Since I have something of a "Long Tail" strategy, I generally "take them all" and then remove those that seem "inappropriate.")

FYI: If your strategy in creating an "AdSense site" is to simply draw cheap traffic using AdWords and profit from AdSense clicks, please recognize that this strategy does not work for most people who try it. See the article I wrote on this subject last summer.
    Last edited by markwelch; January 14th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    When I last checked, WordTracker drew its data from a small collection of search engines that does not include Google, Yahoo, MSN, or Ask. Its results come from searches on a number of smaller lower-tier search engines and "search aggregators." The WordTracker site says, "All search terms are collected from the major metacrawlers - Dogpile and Metacrawler."

As such, its results are "useful but not representative."

When I last tested WordTracker, it generated a lot of "spurious" data, which appears to be distorted or skewed by automated keyword-position checkers. (In other words, if a bot queries once per hour for the results of a search for "left-handed socket wrenches in Podunk," then WordTracker shows it as a frequently-searched phrase, even though no humans ever type it).

Of course, Google's tools provide only "vague estimates," and the bars (for relative search volume and advertiser-competititon) don't seem to have very much meaning. (I don't see the same type of "spurious" results in the Google keyword tool results.) But the Google tool often tells me that search volume is very low (or "no data") for a keyword which proves to be a very effective, nice-volume keyword for my campaigns.

I no longer use any "keyword tools" specifically to identify the actual or relative volume of searches. Instead, I just use them to identify as many potential keyword variations as possible, and then I use my own judgment to select from the choices generated. (Since I have something of a "Long Tail" strategy, I generally "take them all" and then remove those that seem "inappropriate.")

FYI: If your strategy in creating an "AdSense site" is to simply draw cheap traffic using AdWords and profit from AdSense clicks, please recognize that this strategy does not work for most people who try it. See the article I wrote on this subject last summer.
    Thank you.

No I do not use adwords. my strategies revolve around generic search and article writing. But using adwords to monetize an adsense website seems silly to me. But ti each his own as they say.

Do overture & Google use similar data sources for traffic? I know it was so in the past not sure about now.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread