Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Discussion: Negative Broad Match on PPC
    Here's the question to merchants and affiliates:

Merchants, do you require negative broad matching on your trademark or brand keywords?

Affiliates and Merchants, do you or would you benefit from a list of the words you're required to negative match?

I would really like to see some affiliate feedback on this. I know it is a royal pain in the *$$ to negative broad match, but my company requires that I enforce this.

I have affiliates that use search very well and some who wouldn't know what "negative match" meant, but both still manage to come on up broad search. Even some of my favorite affiliates aren't any better than I am at guessing what is a brand term...

Our policy (the thing the lawyers drew up) reads "Negative broad matches must be applied to any PPC activities you are conducting on our behalf on the brand terms, especially using terms ‘woodwind brasswind’."

But it doesn't give a list of words... What about WWBW? Woodwind & Brasswind? Woodwind and Brasswind? Woodwind? Brasswind? Woodbrass? WWBW.com? I have to search these terms coupled with "coupons," "promo," "promo code," "coupon code," etc. to find out what's broad matching with whom.

I need a better solution for me AND my affiliates.

Love the quote in your sig, FWIW.

On the Promo and coupon terms... Why limit those?

There are certain facts about selling online which are not problems, but simply facts.

People will search for coupons. Period. Before they shop, while they are checking out, etc.

Be there when they go looking. As often as you can....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager JusticeforGirls's Avatar
    Sigh. I know. I completely understand the mentality of a coupon/promo shopper. That traffic wouldn't be ours directly and people will find a coupon/promo affiliate organically anyway. I clearly didn't write this policy. Stupid Lawyers!

I understand that it's in place to prevent sleezy affiliates from bidding on "Musical Instruments" and not negative matching "WWBW" and then creating copy like "Super Musical Instruments at WWBW"... That traffic would be ours w/o the need of the affiliate.

And on top of that, I know some of my affiliates are maxed out negative matching other merchants. I just want to make it easy for them to follow and easy for me to enforce. I have enough to do chasing down those darn cookie stuffers!

Stefanie,

An actual list of terms that must be used in the negative is a great idea for your affiliates.

I logged into a private program merchant a couple of weeks ago noticed a message to all affiliates that anyone bidding on trademark terms may have all commissions reversed. I had never bid on the product name, which is a trademark, but I had used the spokes characters name as a search term. They have a character, not a real person, that promotes them. I feared the character name had been trademarked so I emailed the manager and after he checked they had no problem with me using characters name as long as I negative matched the trademarked product.

The more information you provide to your affiliates the easier it is for them to comply with your TOS and build a happy and profitable relationship with you.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Merchants, do you require negative broad matching on your trademark or brand keywords?
    H^$# no! That'd be adding w*rk for nothing!
    (Check Wordtracker and see how many searches there are for "GoodBulbs"...maybe when it rises substantially above 0, my interest will, too )

However, I do forbid using "GoodBulbs.com" as the visible URL in ads, because PPC places only like to show 1 ad per apparent URL. I'm even considering loosening that policy to allow it on AdWords, since I haven't advertised GB there myself in quite a while (PPCers, I haven't changed the terms yet so don't run and bid).

Affiliates and Merchants, do you or would you benefit from a list of the words you're required to negative match?
    As an affiliate, I absolutely would benefit from such a list! To be blunt, if a merchant doesn't supply a list, I'm not going to negative match anything. I'm not in business to try to read the minds of merchants. I will also add that it's very irksome when some don't give any guidelines, then 6 months later they mass-email all their affiliates (including those who aren't doing any PPC for their stuff) a very threatening "none of you had better be bidding on X" notice.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread