How could I make any money with amazon?!
    I would like to try advertising an amazon.com product through google adwords... but the problem is with them paying as low as 3% commission .... how can i expect to make a profit?

Brand name and well-known merchants often pay lower commissions. But as long as they convert well, that's all that matters.

Geno

You have to have sites that draw in a lot of traffic.

It's very difficult to make any money with Amazon if you use AdWords to drive traffic. If you are going to do that, focus on higher priced items.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    You have to have sites that draw in a lot of traffic.

It's very difficult to make any money with Amazon if you use AdWords to drive traffic. If you are going to do that, focus on higher priced items.

Although focusing on higher priced items is a potentially good strategy, remember, the higher it costs, the more they are just going to be browsing and comparing. They might even just be looking for summer.

Blowup, There are things that will work very well with PPC in amazon, however noone would tell you what is working for them because then you could easily jump in and start taking their commissions.

One thing to look at though is if it is a decent price, if people will be buying more than one at a time or come back within the cookie time to make a secondary purchase, etc.... Then it could be potentially profitable.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate

One thing to look at though is if it is a decent price, if people will be buying more than one at a time or come back within the cookie time to make a secondary purchase, etc.... Then it could be potentially profitable.
    Amazon uses a "session only" cookie - Unfortunately, "coming back to buy" isn't an option with them. But they do convert so it's a toss up.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowupdollie
    I would like to try advertising an amazon.com product through google adwords... but the problem is with them paying as low as 3% commission .... how can i expect to make a profit?
    Also not sure where the 3% came from. I'm in the 7% tier on everything, except electronics where I get 4%. And if you sell more, you can make more than 7%.

I tried to promote video games from Amazon.co.uk between oct and dec 2007. Even though it was Christmas rush, I just about broken even.

I documented it at an UK affiliate marketing forum. http://www.affiliates4u.com/forums/a...ing-ppc-4.html

I agree with another poster.You need to focus on high ticket items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Amazon uses a "session only" cookie - Unfortunately, "coming back to buy" isn't an option with them. But they do convert so it's a toss up.
    I think you may be mistaken about this. I got the following directly from the Amazon Associates site. It's in the Help section.

"You earn referral fees on any qualifying items placed in a customer's Shopping Cart within 24 hours of their arrival at Amazon.com via your Associates link. However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link. Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.

It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.com."
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    I think you may be mistaken about this. I got the following directly from the Amazon Associates site. It's in the Help section.

"You earn referral fees on any qualifying items placed in a customer's Shopping Cart within 24 hours of their arrival at Amazon.com via your Associates link. However, this 24-hour window closes once the customer submits his order or reenters Amazon.com through another Associate's link. Once the window is closed, you will not earn referral fees on any subsequent purchases. However, if the customer then returns to Amazon.com through one of your Associates links, this opens a new 24-hour window.

It is of course possible that a customer may arrive at Amazon.com via your Associates link, add an item to his Shopping Cart, and then leave Amazon.com without placing an order. As long as the item was added to the customer's Shopping Cart during this 24-hour window, you will still earn a referral fee if the order is placed before the Shopping Cart expires (usually after 90 days). The referral fee will not be credited to your Associates account until the customer has purchased the item, accepted delivery, and remitted full payment to Amazon.com."
    Thanks for clarifying TE. It's still confusing and not the best odds in this game but good to know.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I never had a clue how it worked either....thanks for reading and exposing the fine print for me too. I guess I really don't care how it works....as long as I keep getting paid. I have recently started to make more money with them than Google, CJ. LS, SAS combined!

I had to investigate it myself because I saw some commissions come through for tracking IDs for sites that I sold a few months ago. The only explanation was the shopping cart. The statements I posted clarified that issue. It's good to know that you do get commissions for items that users park in their shopping carts and then purchase later.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread