Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    8 sites gone!
    I went and did a site command on Google for my sites last night and discovered 8/10 sites were showing no results. I checked webmaster tools and there were errors showing so I removed all the sitemaps to see if that would help. One of the biggest errors was redirects(850 on one site). For some reason seems Google does not like redirects. Don't know if this was a factor or not. Strangely enough tho I am still seeing googlebot crawling the sites.

Jack, Google just called, they said to tell you that your sites are ugly and they can't in good conscience keep them listed. You know they have that oath to do no harm, well your sites were harming those looking at them.

To put it a little more mildly perhaps , if the sites in your sig are any indication, I'm frankly not surprised that Google is slapping you around a little. They're very spammy, not human-friendly at all. The clothing site is nothing but php redirects and banners.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

hahaha, thats just too funny reminds me of that one time my friends car almost got towed from the airport for.... being too ugly

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    To put it a little more mildly perhaps , if the sites in your sig are any indication, I'm frankly not surprised that Google is slapping you around a little. They're very spammy, not human-friendly at all. The clothing site is nothing but php redirects and banners.
    How so? The clothing site has easy to navigate categories and manaufacturers as well as a search. What php redirects are you talking about? I know of none? Also are you using IE? For some reason the site doesn't display right in IE for some reason. IE must not like css or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    IE must not like css or something.
    it does, it just doesn't like bad css.

Anyone know where the css problem could be?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Anyone know where the css problem could be?
    On your site.

Come on now - nearly every single text link on that page is .com/index-links[or index-manufacturers].php?interest=keyword. How can you not see that the page is nothing but php redirects?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Jackson,

This is what I see:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ABW Ambassador
    IE doesn't support all CSS, you have to test with different browsers and use workarounds where needed. That's just part of using CSS, checking for browser compatibility, but once it's done so it's compatible it's a huge time saver.

That's got nothing to do with losing 8 sites, but if there are 800+ redirects turning up for just one site alone, it sounds like there are some technical issues going on.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Come on now - nearly every single text link on that page is .com/index-links[or index-manufacturers].php?interest=keyword. How can you not see that the page is nothing but php redirects?
    Hectic that's how the site works. It's a dynamic site which brings up the data from the database depending on either the category clicked, manufacturer or search made from search box. That is not a redirect lol just a normal link to another page of my site.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Jackson,

This is what I see:
    Billy can you tell me what browser you're seeing that on? I don't get that layout on either Firefox or IE

I think whatever idiot told you to use css, knowing that you would mess it up should help you fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    IE doesn't support all CSS, you have to test with different browsers and use workarounds where needed. That's just part of using CSS, checking for browser compatibility, but once it's done so it's compatible it's a huge time saver.

That's got nothing to do with losing 8 sites, but if there are 800+ redirects turning up for just one site alone, it sounds like there are some technical issues going on.
    For the redirects I have my old Webmerge pages linking to the corresponding main php page. So if say there are 500 pages for the merchant AllBrands then they all redirect to http://domainname.com/allbrandslinks.php. This is the first I've ever heard of there being an issue with having too many redirects. My worry was that if I just delete the old pages I would lose all that traffic. Which do you think is best?

I use 5 different browsers. The only that shows it like you might want it to look like is Netscape. Opera, IE6, IE7, Maxtron don't display it correctly. almost like a table isn't properly columned.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    i use netscape

ABW Ambassador
    It's fine for me in FireFox but all messed up in IE6. The center column is shifted way down to the bottom of the page, so all along next to the whole left navigation in the center, it's all blank. It isn't even the CSS, it's the table layout (and there are 473 HTML errors according to the W3 validator).

Jack, how did you do your 301 redirects? And how many of the old WM subdirectories are involved?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Seems to display correctly for me in Safari and Firefox
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Here's what I see: you have an excessive number of links on a page. Strike 1, depending on who you ask. You have absolutely zero text on the page aside from the anchor text - strike 2. Your links are internal, great, but they go to pages that have no text on them aside from anchor text on affiliate links. Strike 3? Possibly. The column of banner ads doesn't look good, either.

There's nothing in your CSS that could be messing up your display, except *maybe* that you're using relative positioning. But your CSS is very short and very simple, so I really don't think that's an issue.

I know this thread wasn't supposed to be "let's tear apart jackson's sig sites", but like I said before, if your other sites look like this one, I am not surprised you're having Google troubles.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I see all sites good in IE6 and FF from here

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    The wall-o-banners and the unsorted categories list isn't very friendly, but I have no idea if that is why Google doesn't like you that much.

I guess that is why I haven't used many datafeeds. I haven't found any decent dynamic datafeed web applications. That don't mangle the categories or display everything funny in certain browsers.

ABW Ambassador
    This is either a serious technical issue or a ban of the sites, so right now how the sites look is irrelevant if search engine listings and traffic are gone. Once they're cleaned up then it's time to fix those sites up.

Take a look at those little buttons on the clothing site, under the left navigation. Click the XHTML and CSS ones, and also the link under those. Click on them and see what the site is that shows up.

Jack, what are those links doing there?

depending on who you ask. You have absolutely zero text on the page aside from the anchor text
    Text what is that?
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Jackson992

looks like yoursite might have been hacked. Or did you put the "in valid code we trust (*^_^*) miss monorom" in the bottom right corner of your site?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast