Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

NFL head coaches who never played football??

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
NFL head coaches who never played football??

I guess I always assumed that head coaches in the NFL had some minimal credentials as players or they wouldn't be hired.

I found out this weekend that I might be the only KC Chiefs fan who DIDN'T know that the new head coach/wonder boy/flunky, Todd Haley, never played a single down of organized football. He never played high school football. He never played college football. He never played any "semi-pro" or "sandlot" football. He never played any NFL football.

Yet there he is. Head coach of one of the NFL's once-proud football franchises, brought in to try to float the sinking ship they've become??

Sadder days (daze?) ahead still for the Chiefs, I fear. Worst day in Chiefs history was when Lamar Hunt died and left the franchise to his son -- who hasn't proven he has much sense about who to hire at any level.
Old
Prince of Content
Gary if you dig deeper I bet you find a few more coaches that never playing in the NFL or at all. Thought Jim Mora up in Seattle would be one but he played college ball.
Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound
A lot of great coaches never played in the NFL (Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan for example) but I never heard of one before that didn't play in college.

Haley played golf in college, and it is interesting that he attended three different schools before he got a degree.
phil@abestweb.com
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
The first I found out about Haley's non-football history was in an AP story our local paper ran in the sports section yesterday. They called it the "dirty little secret" no one in the Chiefs' organization wants to publicize.

That's probably a bit harsh, I think. But it makes the point, as you guys have, that nearly any NFL head coach I've ever heard about played in SOME level of organized football -- even if just high school.

Seems really odd to me. And not all that encouraging for my suffering Chiefs. LOL!
Old
ABW Ambassador
I was thinking of another sport with Chuck Daly never playing the game at any level but being a great coach.

I think you don't necessarily have had to play at a high level to coach but I think I might prefer it because it's hard to get in there and tell people to fight thru the pain, or about winning games at the level etc because you've never been there and players might not respect you because of it. And you heard a little of that with Larry Johnson's tweet about Haley.

In the end, can you win is what counts, who's the best available coach. But I like them to have some NFL experience or at least some college.

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
A lot of great coaches never played in the NFL (Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan for example) but I never heard of one before that didn't play in college.
And even one of Beli's former coaches Josh McDaniels played some college ball and never any NFL but he has those Broncos at 6-0, which I don't think anybody would have predicted at the beginning of the season.

I'm sure there are more examples out there with that kind of thing.
Old
ABW Ambassador
My personal favorite, John Madden. He was drafted by the Eagles in '58, but an injury during training camp ended his career before he ever got to play.
Old
Speechless
It seems like the Theo Epstein types have gone from cramped back rooms to front offices to the sidelines.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
My personal favorite, John Madden. He was drafted by the Eagles in '58, but an injury during training camp ended his career before he ever got to play
That made me curious about al davis. Accoding to wikipedia, he went straight from an english degree to coaching. No playing mentioned.
Old
ABW Ambassador
All fascinating stuff. I've never played football myself, beyond intramural touch football in what was then called "junior high."

So maybe, as an avid fan, I should just put together a little resume and approach KC Chief's or Oakland Raider's management ...
Old
Go for it, Gary ... Then auction the starting spots on EBAY.
Old
ABW Ambassador
As a Chiefs fan myself I guess I would have assumed that he had played.

But some people just have analytical minds and are good with strategies and motivating people... I would think that they would make good coaches.

And let's face it that not all of the guys who have played in the NFL would be considered the great minds of our time.

Basically, if they were winning....no one would give a hoot whether he played or not.

And none of us would know this or be paying any attention to it if cry-baby Larry Johnson hadn't tweeted about it to throw Haley under the bus and throw the scent off of how horrible LJ is playing this season.

Sheri
Old
I was amazed to find out Joe Gibbs didn't play college or pro ball either. But at least he won super bowls
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb619
I was amazed to find out Joe Gibbs didn't play college or pro ball either. But at least he won super bowls
Joe Gibbs attended and received Bachelors and Masters degrees from San Diego State U, where he played football (and later was an assistant coach) under Don Coryell (who of course was to go on to become one of the great offensive innovators as coach of first the Cardinals, and then, the Chargers).
phil@abestweb.com
Old
ABW Ambassador
On a VERY HAPPY NOTE for Chiefs fans -- they actually whipped Pittsburgh on Sunday. I'm still marveling at that one. Hooray!
Old
Best New ABW Member 2007
The Steelers are broken this year. They will go 10-6. Which is a very good year for some teams, but not for Sixburgh.

This is an interesting thread. I would have thought some experience as a player along the way was a given. Guess the most important thing though is their W/L record as a coach.

Old
Affiliate Network Rep
I don't think Raheem Morris ever played...
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyiadom
I don't think Raheem Morris ever played...
He played in college (Hofstra) but not in the NFL.
phil@abestweb.com
Old
Banned
This is a just a little humor on this topic. No offense intended.

There are a lot of male women's college basketball coaches that have absolutely NO experience in playing women's basketball. So, I guess you can do fine as a coach without actually having experience as a player in the exact sport you are coaching in.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search