Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: EBates & McAfee stealing from Affiliates and Merchants!!

Tools Search
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
ABW Ambassador
EBates & McAfee stealing from Affiliates and Merchants!!

Are EBates and McAfee now working together to steel commissions? It looks like if McAfee Site advisor is installed on the users workstation and the website is “McAfee Secure Site” then a EBates banner is displayed on top of the page offering a discount if you buy through a EBates link.

This only started happing today and I do not have any toolbars install with the exception of McAfee Site Advisor.

Has anyone else seen this or heard about this?
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Fighting the good fight...
Send a message via AIM to Convergence
Ironic that McAfee is spyware, huh?
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I don't use their products, so I can't verify here.. but it's also worth an enquiry via their affiliate channel, as they do have a program.

Anyone know who the AM is..?

Apart from the obvious leak & conflict of interest to the end user, something tells me the rest of their affiliates would be none to pleased about this!
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Interesting tweet:
https://twitter.com/McAfeeSECURE/sta...30491311837184

Also see a KB article has been removed from the McAfee site (or I can't see it) via this search result:
Quote:
SiteAdvisor and Ebates: Safe Shopping Rewards - McAfee
[link removed]...
This article is either no longer available or your login status prevents you from accessing it.
Update: Found a cached page that shows a thread has been removed - screenshot attached. Ebates own site is McAfee verified, so this may be unrelated to the affiliate conflict of interest issue, but I wanted to share before the cache expired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebates.jpg (122.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by teezone; November 5th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Thanks From:
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
ABW Ambassador
I just found EBates banner on another merchant site so I tried to attached a image here so other can see what I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBates.jpg (18.4 KB, 65 views)
Old November 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
ABW Ambassador
Am I understanding this correctly that if you have McAfee Site Advisor installed on your computer you will now start getting an eBates popup when you visit merchant sites directly that are a part of the eBates/McAfee Secure Sites list?

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan
Thanks From:
Old November 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingmoms View Post
Am I understanding this correctly that if you have McAfee Site Advisor installed on your computer you will now start getting an eBates popup when you visit merchant sites directly that are a part of the eBates/McAfee Secure Sites list?
I have McAfee Site advisor installed on my workstation. When I visit some of my merchants who have a "McAfee Secure Site" badge on their site, I get the Ebates popup as attached. If you look at the attached popup banner it even has McAfee in the banner!!!

fyi, I have no tool bars install (other then McAfee Site advisor) I ran a full spyware scan on my workstation and it was 100% clean.

Kevin...
Old November 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
ABW Ambassador
Hmm, why is it these things always get discovered around holiday time
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know who handles the McAfee program? That would be a good place to start.. in addition to alerting the media.

A company that promises to keep your computer safe while getting into bed with a cashback site sounds like a conflict of interest to me.
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
ABW Ambassador
Maybe somebody else will know. Did quick check at CJ but it didn't list any affiliate manager and am not in their program.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
ABW Veteran
Amazing!

Nine years ago I discovered ABW...

Nine years ago I learned about parasites on ABW...

Nine years ago I read many posts about E on ABW...

It's hard to believe that nine years later, we still needed to worry about E ...
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by teezone View Post
Does anyone know who handles the McAfee program? That would be a good place to start.. in addition to alerting the media.

A company that promises to keep your computer safe while getting into bed with a cashback site sounds like a conflict of interest to me.
I not using this network for McAfee but their program is promoted here on ABW: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/onene...le-159723.html
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM
ABW Ambassador
Ok, I just found out that mcafee has partnered with ebates and is slowly rolling out (including) the ebates pop up / toolbar to all mcafee site advisors users. So mcafee is now helping ebates to steel our commissions

I am pulling all mcafee links from all sites plus this should make a good blog post how mcafee is now including spyware in their software
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Someone should alert Ben Edelman.. it's right up his alley..

Ben Edelman - Home

kse, can you please post a link to confirm this? All I found was evidence of a deleted thread in their KB.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM
ABW Ambassador
The screen shot shows that mcafee is promoting ebates and I have been informed in writing from one of the two players that this is the case. And it will be rolled out to all workstations that use site advisor over the coming weeks.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:47 PM
ABW Veteran
Is anyone is watching Nighline just now? [11-13-2012]

Take a look at this link:

Today in Tech: McAfee founder wanted for murder
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Outsourced Program Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sal View Post
Is anyone is watching Nighline just now? [11-13-2012] Take a look at this link:

Today in Tech: McAfee founder wanted for murder
I did. I saw that last night too. If he is not guilty of killing the guy why does he not leave the island and fly to US as he says the Island goverment did it but still prefers to stay there.

He said he hide under the sand for hours, sounds guilty to me already lol
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse View Post
Are EBates and McAfee now working together to steel commissions? It looks like if McAfee Site advisor is installed on the users workstation and the website is “McAfee Secure Site” then a EBates banner is displayed on top of the page offering a discount if you buy through a EBates link. This only started happing today and I do not have any toolbars install with the exception of McAfee Site Advisor. Has anyone else seen this or heard about this?
Any time there there is a relation with toolbars and a 'pop up' we know commissions may be diverted again. Looks like we are starting this again...
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Ebates/McAfee nightmare

Greeting, all. I found this forum today after searching for others equally annoyed with the McAfee Ebates partnering. Yesterday, for the first time on my W7 machine, McAfee started having an amazingly annoying pop-up box showing that I needed to click on the OK button (only option I might add, and I do mean only, since no minimization, closure, or other options were available) to join Ebates. Disabling pop-ups completely on my machine is not an option due to certain sites I need to use that require that ability for work.

There is no way on earth I am joining Ebates. Since when does AV/firewall software act like malware, and insist that you join a business you want nothing to do with, with no visible option to opt out? I tried Task Manager to get rid of the annoying box which would not retreat when I clicked on the windows I was trying to interact with before the box appeared - no go since the Ebates box didn't even appear in Applications - the box stayed on top, only allowing me to drag and drop it to a different part of the screen.

I finally went into the processes and manually force-stopped Site Advisor. A pity since Site Advisor was a fairly decent product (although I do not use McAfee as my main AV protection at all). Of course, the very next time I brought the Web up, up popped the Ebates box too. After much experimenting with ways to kill it, I finally had to resort to killing Site Advisor entirely by uninstalling the program. That did work.

McAfee then made the mistake of insisting that I complete a survey as to why I was leaving McAfee, which I cheerfully took (although I noted with irony that at the very bottom of the survey, unlike the Ebates box, you could opt for "No Thanks" and avoid the survey). They were treated to my thoughts on what a moronic pairing this was with a program I not only don't want, but will refuse to use McAfee again until they at least make it optional to say you don't want to join Ebates. I pointed out the similarity to malware, and questioned their judgment in partnering in such a venture.

You supposedly get cash back from shopping on-line through Ebates. Really? Since when is having AV/firewall protection on your computer something logically linked with cash back for shopping? It seemed somewhat like having an asthma clinic that also sells cigarettes.

I feel bad for people who will just click the only option of "OK" just to make the box go away and know of no other way to get rid of that blight. It reminds me of the earlier years of computing when we had the curse of the Comet Cursor to deal with.

I kept a screenprint in case anyone wants the info on it, but the exact information on the box is:
(picture of McAfee logo) McAfee SiteAdvisor
Get Cash back for shopping safely online!
(Ebates logo picture) Ebates where it pays to shop online
McAfee has partnered with Ebates to offer you cash back when you shop safely online.
Start saving today!
For more information, please visit:
McAfee SiteAdvisor Software

(then the only option to click other than the link is a big, red OK button at the bottom right corner).

Reading the link, it indicates how safe you are shopping where McAfee shows the merchant site to be a McAfee SECURE site. I did not find anything in the McAfee FAQs or other possible links, that even hinted at the site not engaging in data-mining or not selling your information to third parties. Gives you that real, warm and comfortable feeling, doesn't it? NOT! And to top off all else, some of the links were broken on their buttons for the SiteAdvisor. Way to go, McAfee. If you can't even keep your links functional, there is a big problem.
Thanks From:
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:36 AM
The Seal of Aproval
MERCHANTS, ARE YOU READING THIS!!!

Ebates has found a way around network and merchant bans on toolbars by partnering with McAfee to deliver the exact same results that they would receive if it were their own toolbar. To make it worse, they have partnered with an organization that until now was considered a "trusted" software provider.

MERCHANTS, what are YOU going to do about this? It's time to start removing Ebates from your programs. If not, we'll start removing you from our sites.

AFFILIATES, take notice.

-rematt
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
ABW Ambassador
As affiliates we can do a few things: 1) Direct as many people as possible to this thread and help spread the word, 2) Contact merchants directly to try to get them to drop ebates, and 3) Replace merchants who refuse to stop working with ebates.

What's most upsetting about this is that it is happening right before the holidays when we all already have our holiday promotions and plans in place. Somehow I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan
Thanks From:
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
ABW Ambassador
Yes I think we have to start contacting merchants and we have to explain that Ebates is stealing money from merchants even when the merchant get the traffic from their own PPC campains and from other free traffic sources.

Anyone good at drafting up a letter that we could use to send to the merchants explain why this is bad?? I would also be a good idea to start listing merchants in this thread who work with ebates.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Alastor, welcome to ABW, and thank you very much for your detailed post!

The one good thing here is that we are very highly ranked for the search term, so hopefully other people searching for this new collaboration will land on this thread, and see the conflict of interest!

McAfee is claiming to protect your computer while lining their own pockets, and sending you to a third party with questionable ethics in our community. All under the guise of "safe shopping"..? I don't think so!

I contacted Ben Edelman last week (who I have dealt with in the past) - he mentioned that he won't be able to write about this soon, but will be watching this thread. Let's keep it active to force McAfee and Ebates out of the closet. The tech press should also be alerted - anyone know who handles spyware & privacy issues, etc at The New York Times..?
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Send a message via AIM to akagorilla Send a message via Yahoo to akagorilla
Just a reminder. Ebates does not exist in ShareAsale. (that I'm aware of)
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
ABW Ambassador
I think we now have the proof and since I started the thread can we rename the thread??

From "EBates & McAfee working together to steal commissions??"

to

"EBates & McAfee stealing from Affiliates and Merchants!!"

Kevin....

Tags
unethical affiliates , unethical networks

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search