Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Computer Mouse Problem

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Computer Mouse Problem

Nothing major, just annoying. Can't figure it out, hoping somebody might know.

For the last 3 days, when I wake up and first get on the computer, the mouse isn't working smoothly. Barely moves on the mouse pad. But when I put it on another surface, works a little better but not smoothly and not where I could work like that. So I restart the computer and it works great again like it is now.

Now I bought a couple new mouse pads a few days ago and there were some Windows updates a few days ago. Like I said, right now it's working perfect, quick and will most likely throughout the day. It seems to start having problems if I don't use it overnight, long period of time. So wondering if it was some setting somewhere in the computer? And it's an optical wheel mouse.
Old
ABW Veteran
After too many times getting frustrated and beating the hell out of my mouse, a couple of days ago I took the rat appart and discovered that a very small piece of dust was the culprit.

Since last year I was having problems with the mouse not working right (I posted something about it then), but after I took it appart and cleaned every moving part I could find inside and the iron ball too, with alcohol, now my mouse is working like new.
Old
ABW Veteran
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
And it's an optical wheel mouse
If it have any moving part (wheel), it may get some small particle stuck inside.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
That's the thing. If it was something like that, it wouldn't be working now. It's a relatively new mouse, bought it last year. Works great right now, it's very clean. Which is odd like I said because I wake up, try with the mouse on the mouse pad, barely moves. I grab a DVD case that's nearby and try it on that, a little better. So first I can't figure out why that would be and then when I restart the computer. It's great again. Wonder if it's something somewhere in my settings or something. I turn the monitor off when I got to bed. After an hour it goes on Auto Detect Power Save during the day, whenever. But this problem is only during last 3 days.
Old
If it's wireless.... how's the battery holding up..?

That was MY problem last month..
Old
ABW Veteran
Quote:
when I wake up and first get on the computer, the mouse isn't working smoothly

It seems to start having problems if I don't use it overnight, long period of time
That sounds like an intermittent problem on the mouse circuit board.

When I was into electronics, sometimes those problems were difficult to pinpoint, because it could be cause from: by just a cold-soldering join somewhere on it's board, to a falling capacitor or diode.

Sometimes the problem will show up after the part got up to working temperature and then it will fail - At that time freon was used to find the bad part.

Sometimes the problem will show up at power up, so a small heat gun was used to find the bad part.

But most likely your mouse may have some very small particle of something loose somewhere inside (even if is new), but if it's a problem with the circuit board, it's a lot cheaper to get a new mouse then to fix that one.

I doubt it would have anything to do with any setting, because since is working when is hot, and not working right when it's cold, then I don't see how can that be affected by any setting already premade.

You can also buy one of those canned compressed air can on Radio Shack and blow on it, those cans are very handy to blow the dirt and dust from the computer boards, and it's very good on keeping the keyboard keys dust free too. Those cans cost less than $10 and sometimes Office Depot have a good price on buy one get one free.

Believe me, about thirty years ago I use to laugh at the idea of people buying canned air, but later I discovered that those little cans would help solve a lot of electronics and electro-mechanical problems too.
Old
ABW Ambassador
"If it's wireless.... how's the battery holding up..?"

It's corded, an MS USB optical mouse. I just did a System Restore to a couple of days before the problem to see if that would do the trick, to check if it might have been a recent Windows Update or something.

I just remembered I have the exact same mouse in white that I will hook up if the problem continues. So if this one continues to have the same problem and my old one doesn't, then I know it's the mouse. Had to get a black one to match the new computer, monitor, speakers, printer etc
Old
Analytics Dude
Do you always get up at the same time? (Noon I'm sure..... )

Mine gets edgy if I get up real early and start puting while AVG is running....

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old
ABW Ambassador
Get up at various times, lately 2PM, vicious cycle

Yeah, I have the AVG scheduled to run at 6AM everyday while I sleep so it's not that, tho I know it does slow down things a tad if you're trying to work when it's going.
Old
I have a setup like you described - USB optical mouse - that also hangs once in a while - I need a ps2 connection so I have a changer-connector (USB/PS2) - that seems to be the problem - the mouse on USB alone seems to work and a PS2 mouse seems to work - just the combination is a bit flakey
Old
Send a message via AIM to JAYMEDINC Send a message via Yahoo to JAYMEDINC
My mouse has been acting a little wierd lately too. I've been considering hopping on eBay to find a new mouse and pad. Just haven't gotten around to it.

If anyone has an affiliate program that sells low priced ones, I'd give it a look and maybe buy.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
And it's an optical wheel mouse.
I agree with Mr. Sal. The only obstacle of optical wheel mouse is very sensitive against small particle. It’s pity that this mouse doesn’t like any smoker. The surfaces of mouse pad and glass lamp have always been in clean conditions.
Old
I use a Logitech optical mouse that uses a usb port on my computer and I never have any problems.

I used to have problems with a MS mouse.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW - None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe) - Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison. Give me a minute before I post again.
Old
Analytics Dude
FWIW, I use a Logitech as well. I love it.

I also use a Logitch G15 keyboard, which is also very sexy. Makes my office glow orange.

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old
ABW Ambassador
Same problem when I woke up today. Worked great all day yesterday. First thing on the computer today, barely moves, put on another surface moves a little better not much. Restart computer, smooth and fast. Will try the other mouse.

Hooked up the Dell optical mouse (was still wrapped in plastic) that came with this computer, will see tomorrow if it has the same problem.

Last edited by Trust; March 15th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
I just remembered I have the exact same mouse in white that I will hook up if the problem continues. So if this one continues to have the same problem and my old one doesn't, then I know it's the mouse. Had to get a black one to match the new computer, monitor, speakers, printer etc
I've been used my corded MS USB optical mouse(a white one) for at least 5 years now. It works great. Never clean it , and never had a problem.

I bought a Logitech wireless mouse when it first came out as a fancy toy. It works fine, but did weird things once in a while. Sometimes when I was not doing anything, the mouse arrow on the computer screen would move around itself, it even highlighted a section of my spreadsheet when the sheet was opened... as if somebody else was operating my mouse! It scared me . After that happened a few times, I decided not to use wireless mouse anymore.

I've never figured out why would that happen. Maybe you guys know?

Trust, WHITE corded MS USB optical mouse works great
Old
If it's fine after you reboot, it sounds like a driver or operating system problem. No idea where to go from there, though.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
ABW Ambassador
"Trust, WHITE corded MS USB optical mouse works great"

Yep, had that thing for almost 6 years, just got the black one to match my system. But will know tomorrow if it's the mouse, using the new one. I think it's more what Michael said. Something happening when I sleep. The computer stays connected to the internet at all times, I just turn the speakers off and the monitor off when I go to bed. What I still don't quite understand is that it barely moves all on my mouse pad, when it's usually fast and smooth and then I try it on something like a dvd case and it moves a little better.
Old
ABW Ambassador
So I guess it's the mouse. Since when I woke up, the Dell optical is still working. Will try it out a couple more days, switchover the other one to make sure.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search