Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

How many of you are working nomads?

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
How many of you are working nomads?

Hey, hey - I'm curious, how many of you travel the country (or world) while doing this type of work in the process? Do you love it?

The ability to work on the road, while getting to enjoy the sites and other pleasures of travel is what turned me onto affiliate marketing. I've finally gotten to that point - at least modestly. Enough so that I can travel the states, or to some of the lesser known overseas areas on a budget (nothing like Tokyo, Paris, etc, at least for the next year).

I'd love to hear some of you who do manage to travel alot, or all the time.

Also, wanted to share a couple of great sites I've come across recently regarding this topic:

http://www.workingnomad.com/ (been a big help)

and for those of you looking for cheap alternatives to hotels:

http://www.hostels.com (I never knew there were so many in the US alone)

Anyway, I'm excited as I'm planning to hit the road this December (getting things planned out now). What about you?
Old
ABW Ambassador
Ooops - meant to add one more URL to that list. The URL is: http://www.bootsnall.com/ It's one I've come across while doing research as well. Offers pretty good deals for those that want to visit more than one spot while flying.

note: Sorry, mod, I wanted to edit the post, but it went past the 30 minute mark. Promise I'm not trying to bump my own thread!
Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Potsie
That's what I'm aiming for as well! If my income remains the same from my site then I can do it!!! It's been a year but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and I'm scared to drop my day job. If I didn't have 3 kids then it would be a no brainer. We'll see what this coming year brings. Good going!!
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
I probably spend 20% of my time (8-12 weeks per year) traveling, for seminars and pleasure. As long as there's an Internet connection, I'm fine. Even a few times when I haven't had an Internet connection (for up to a week at a time!!!), the business goes on.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie Harris
I love leisure travel - no doubt about it. I've often toyed with the idea of becoming a travel agent as a fun side hobby because I love planning my own and everyone else's trips. Plus, it's a great way to get some good travel discounts that are only available to travel agents. Affiliate marketing is a great way to incorporate a passion for exploring the globe because, like you guys say, all you need is an internet connection. I haven't taken full advantage of this, but with all the moving I've been doing lately, I'm certainly getting some mileage out of the "work from anywhere" benefits!
AIM: stephschaafco
www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products
Old
ABW Ambassador
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I probably spend 20% of my time (8-12 weeks per year) traveling, for seminars and pleasure. As long as there's an Internet connection, I'm fine. Even a few times when I haven't had an Internet connection (for up to a week at a time!!!), the business goes on.
Nice. I'm sure you've thought about this, but ever considered a mobile broadband card? Hitting the road, while being able to connect (at least in most places) wirelessly is a driving factor for me. Of course, working during vacations kind of defeats the purpose too..
Old
I'm thinking more and more about it. It certainly would be handy at times. It would save me money some months (when I am traveling more than a few days in the month when I don't have free Internet). It would give added flexiblity, in that I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not a hotel has Internet (although most I would want to stay at do). It would give another "backup" connection at home (I have two ISPs now, just to make sure I can always get online). It would allow me to work in the car on road trips.

There are several months where I do no traveling, and I just have a hard time spending a set monthly amount for something I won't even use some months.

Looking at my expenses for this year, I think I have only spent $65 on Internet access while traveling. Everywhere else I went, I was able to get on for free or get by without it.

I've also heard that the speed isn't all that great (maybe double dialup speed?). I'm probably at least twice as efficient as I used to be when I had dialup, and time is money. If the speed is not that great, I would lose some efficiency.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
Crazy Cat Lady
Send a message via AIM to Heidi Send a message via MSN to Heidi Send a message via Yahoo to Heidi
i would like to do this in 3 years, but I don't want to be staying in motels and such. We would like to buy a RV with all the bells and whistles we can afford on it, tow a small car behind us for getting around easily in those places we wish to stay a few months at a time in.

Why 3 years? Cuz i have to wait til my youngest daughter graduates from H.S. and then turns 18 which isn't til 3 months after graduation.
Old
Classic Rocker
I hate business travel. I was a road warrior and not by choice. I was on the road 70% of the time. Even though I stayed in 4 stars, 90% of the time was in 1st class because of all the FF miles I had, most of the time it sucked. International travel was worse. I loved meeting new people and cultures, but there was never enough time to enjoy it.

Rushing from town to town, rental car counters, eating in your room while you catch up on emails and work, and off to the next one. There were times when I woke up and had to look at the phone area code to remember what city I was in.

Then people in the office would say "I wish I could travel all over like you do". I just shook my head. Be careful what you wish for. After I left corporate America, I loved not having to travel.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I hate business travel. I was a road warrior and not by choice. I was on the road 70% of the time. Even though I stayed in 4 stars, 90% of the time was in 1st class because of all the FF miles I had, most of the time it sucked. International travel was worse. I loved meeting new people and cultures, but there was never enough time to enjoy it.

Rushing from town to town, rental car counters, eating in your room while you catch up on emails and work, and off to the next one. There were times when I woke up and had to look at the phone area code to remember what city I was in.

Then people in the office would say "I wish I could travel all over like you do". I just shook my head. Be careful what you wish for. After I left corporate America, I loved not having to travel.

Haha no - I know exactly what you mean. Had me doing much the same, although not quite at that extreme. No, this type of travel will be completley up to what the whim of the moment is (well, and a bit regarding the budget)..
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
I've also heard that the speed isn't all that great (maybe double dialup speed?). I'm probably at least twice as efficient as I used to be when I had dialup, and time is money. If the speed is not that great, I would lose some efficiency.
I think that'll depend greatly on where you're at. Right now, I'm really on the outskirts of their coverage area, but would say I'm getting pretty fast speeds. Maybe DSL or so. Fast enough to not notice much of a difference.

Also, companies like Sprint will give you a free 30 day trial (same I think for verizon). If you do get one (with sprint that is) just make sure you pick the right wireless card to begin with. Otherwise you'll be dealing with hell and its local tech support for a few days...God that was one annoying bit. Otherwise, fantastic product!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi
i would like to do this in 3 years, but I don't want to be staying in motels and such. We would like to buy a RV with all the bells and whistles we can afford on it, tow a small car behind us for getting around easily in those places we wish to stay a few months at a time in.

Why 3 years? Cuz i have to wait til my youngest daughter graduates from H.S. and then turns 18 which isn't til 3 months after graduation.

Now you're talking about what I would love to do eventually as well (the RV). I've been looking at some nice compact ones recently for future references. They get pretty fancy.

I hope that 3 years goes by fast for you...to travel and get the younguns out the house!
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
I like being able to work from anywhere, laptops are the bomb. I may get a wireless card for the laptop in the next few months, not sure yet how much I will be traveling, at times I want to travel a week a month and other times I want to just stay put. The wireless card would pay for itself if I were paying for hotel connections 5-6 days a month.

Being from the east coast where blackouts were not really frequent, but that did happen, I never got into using a remote connection to the home computer. But since out here the power has only gone out once, I can probably count on being able to access my home computer from anywhere and might look into that.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxly
I like being able to work from anywhere, laptops are the bomb. I may get a wireless card for the laptop in the next few months, not sure yet how much I will be traveling, at times I want to travel a week a month and other times I want to just stay put. The wireless card would pay for itself if I were paying for hotel connections 5-6 days a month.

Being from the east coast where blackouts were not really frequent, but that did happen, I never got into using a remote connection to the home computer. But since out here the power has only gone out once, I can probably count on being able to access my home computer from anywhere and might look into that.
Let me know if you get one, and how you like it. I'm curious as to how the other providers are in terms of quality of service.
Old
Analytics Dude
I'm traveling more than I like to these days, but it's been for good reasons, both on the personal and business side.

Think I've been away from home 5 of the last 15 weeks. And one more trip in October, then hopefully a homebody until the Aff Summit.

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old
ABW Ambassador
Man, you guys are going to have to help me pick some nice spots to visit in the coming months, since you guys are always out on the road. Alaska (maybe a stop in Canada) is first on the list. A place I've always wanted to go. If any of you have been there, and have suggestions, let me know! More than anything I'd love to see if I can catch a dog sled ride, and of course, do some real fishing (after working hours of course)..

edit: I actually would rather drive there, but not sure my car would survive the long journey. If I could get a nice Tacoma, I could bring my best friend with me (my dog Maya). I guess we'll have to see how things play out.
Old
I used to leave on Sunday evenings and return on Friday evenings. I don't care how nice the hotel was, or the food, the perks never were as nice as being at home. Flying went from being the best way to go to being a total hassle and now I avoid flying whenever possible. Luckily Internet access improved during the last few years I was on the road, but before that, I'd lay in a hotel room thinking of it as an oversized coffin. The one good thing about being on the road? The total boredom got me into the affiliate business. There was nothing else to do at night!

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.
Old
Yeah, regular business travel with no time for fun stinks. I did the weekly commute like that (fly out every Sunday evening and back home every Friday evening) for about 3-4 months, and there was nothing glamorous or fun about it. It gets old really quick.

My travel now is totally different. I usually schedule extra days to enjoy myself. The affiliate marketing people I see are more like friends than work associates. I get to enjoy some really great food while I'm out of town. I bring my family whenever they want to come along (which has been about half of the time lately). Plus I take numerous vacations with the family as well. Sure, I usually work a couple hours a day (or more if I can get away with it) when I'm on vacation, but that leaves a lot of time for fun.
Old
Classic Rocker
This thread is making some wheels turn.

One could get a motorhome, a broadband card, and just kind of put around the country from city to city and work on AM at the same time. No hurry, no schedules, no hassles. If you had direct deposit or someone who could forward your mail..... hmmmm... It would make an interesting blog [to sell travel goods on, of course].

The ultimate road trip.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Yeah, I still feel for those that have to travel 90% of the time for work. I had some friends that did so much of it - you could tell how burned out they were. And to top it, they had families. I couldn't imagine the strain - but I guess the bills have to be paid.

Quote:
It would make an interesting blog [to sell travel goods on, of course
No doubt. I bet a blog that accounted for all of your stops, with pictures, summaries, etc would do very well. Especially for the hot travel spots.

I know UncleScooter is doing something similar right now. Haven't heard from him in a while, so I wonder how he's faring with the Easy Rider travelling (bike substituted with RV of course)...
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
If you had direct deposit or someone who could forward your mail.....
You could just use WorldClassMail.com (they're a new merchant here on ABW).
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
You could just use WorldClassMail.com (they're a new merchant here on ABW).
Michael, it's a great idea (and something I want to look into), but tried to enter direct URL and search for the URL and merchant, but couldn't find any info. Maybe they're just down for now. Any ideas?
Old
My bad. It's EarthClassMail.com. Hmmm, WorldClassMail.com (registered but not developed) might be a good domain for them to try to buy (or at least backorder). I had lunch with a couple of the guys from EarthClassMail.com at CJU and I still got their site name wrong.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Man, I have to admit that's pretty nifty, and will come in handy later. Hell, I could use something like that now b/c I'm one of the world's worst for keeping up with my mail. I think I have boxes of stuff from '97 or so that still needs to be disposed of properly.. lol
Old
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. They scan the outside of all your mail. You then let them know whether to open and scan, forward, archive, or shred each piece. Soon, they'll also have the ability to deposit checks.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I'm thinking that's a pretty unique service, and will be popular as it picks up steam. Gonna have to take a look at their affiliate service (at CJ unfortunately - been trying to stay away from them).

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search