Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

A purple squirrel?? :)

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
A purple squirrel?? :)

I have a google alert for some purplies and seems there's a purple squirrel in Portsmouth, UK. Kids at a school first spotted the little fella, everybody was guessin it mighta had met up with paint but those who've gotten up close to him don't think so cos it's not patchy. They seem to think it's all over his body, were thinking some sorta cross breeding. (Uhh....not sure how that theory worked...lol ) Experts and everybody seem to be baffled. lol

Hmmm, purple bears, so why couldn't there be purple squirrels?? Here's the litte fella.

purple squirrel
Old
Comfortably Numb
I wonder if some loony could have trapped it and then put dye on him.

Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Flamingos are pink from eating shrimp, maybe he ate something that affected his hair, or he was dyed by someone and they let him go. If he gets trapped they can easily test the hair to see if it's real or not. Genetically there is no "purple" gene in mammals that I know of.... And I know a fair amount about color genetics
Old
ABW Ambassador
Call me cynical, but I've become suspicious of anything unusual that comes from the net. It's too easy to contrive any type of media.

X
Old
Troll Killer and best Snooper!
I decide when the pigs fly!
That is not a purple squirrel because there is no such thing as a purple squirrel. That is a squirrel that someone has dyed with a fluorescent purple color.
Trapped it, sprayed it, released it. That's all.

http://www.google.com/search?source=...urple+dye&aq=f
Old
When I look at the picture there is a vertical pole to the right of the squirrel that is also purple. My guess is this is some type of camera trick/filter, optical illusion, or something else besides a purple squirrel.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Actually it is a effect, if you look at the leaves on the trees they have a blueish purple glow to them, nice try though.
Old
Send a message via AIM to 1stAngel Send a message via Yahoo to 1stAngel Send a message via Skype™ to 1stAngel
I assure you we have NO purple squirrels in UK.. we hardly have any of our own red squirrels any more, they have been killed off by grey squirrels imported from USA.
Old
ABW Ambassador
" nice try though"
geez, you guys probably don't believe there are any purple bears either. This bein the time of year it is....how bout red nosed reindeers?? or elves?? or worse yet....the Easter Bunny and all his little helper bunnies that work sooooo many long hours making all them chocolate eggs and then helping to deliver em??

Yeap, the dye theory seems to be what some believe cept they thought it wouldn't have covered everything as well as it did, guess they figure it woulda looked sloppy or somethin.

Yeap, that's what my husband brought up were the flamingos. Maybe there was a blueberry or blackberry patch or somethin the little fella's been eatin.

"I assure you we have NO purple squirrels in UK.. we hardly have any of our own red squirrels any more, they have been killed off by grey squirrels imported from USA.

That's got me curious now. Why are the grey squirrels bein imported from the USA to the UK? umm have you guys figured out some sorta use for squirrels? Hmm, maybe I don't wanna know the answer to that. Hope they haven't become somebody's idea of dinner.

Before I get myself in trouble with anybody thinking I'm making disparaging remarks about squirrels. Am not. Admit, I can't honestly say I'm madly in love with the little fellas but I don't dislike em. They are very destrucive, but still think they're cute.

1stAngel
In my state at least we're not supposed to have as many of the red squirrels. They're supposed to be quite nasty towards the others tho and definitely even tho they're small...ummm the others regret messin with em cos they fight dirty.

How bout do you guys believe in the black or white squirrels?? I do know they definitely exist. What I haven't quite figured out is why they seem to live more in one area than another where I live. Don't know how many of ya know of the Main Line area? The Grace Kelly movie with Katherine Hepburn, Bing Crosby, Eve Arden, Frank Sinatra and a bunch of big names were in it. The movie was about that area. It's the real rich suburb of Philadelphia.

Anyway....there are a lotta black squirrels that live there. So....how come they live there and I've got mostly the plain ole gray ones? There are a few of the black ones in my area. A town nearby has some white ones, blondish and light tan ones, too. Ok....the purple one I thought was just a cute story, but these I just mentioned are real.

Do hope it wasn't dye cos that worries me that it could harm him
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebear
" That's got me curious now. Why are the grey squirrels bein imported from the USA to the UK? umm have you guys figured out some sorta use for squirrels? Hmm, maybe I don't wanna know the answer to that. Hope they haven't become somebody's idea of dinner.(
I don't know why they were originally imported, but you are right that they apparently are quite the delicacy

The ultimate ethical meal: a grey squirrel
It tastes sweet, like a cross between lamb and duck. And it's selling as fast as butchers can get it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...s.foodanddrink

Old
ABW Ambassador
Oh boy am I regretting posting this one. lol Thought it was a cute little story that might get a few giggles

Now - "but you are right that they apparently are quite the delicacy"

come on....whatcha doin to me? lol I don't wanna think about that.
Definitely am not gonna go gettin myself in any more trouble and go off on that topic. lol

Ya know...I'm thinkin of Skippy the squirrel, Reggie the raccoon, Peter Rabbit, Yogi, Alvin and the Chipmunks, etc......I don't wanna think of em as dinner. lol
Old
Troll Killer and best Snooper!
I decide when the pigs fly!
I've seen black squirrels at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden http://www.bbg.org/. If I recall correctly they were imported and released into the park.

I've never heard of white squirrels. I saw what I believed to be an albino squirrel in Connecticut about 15 years ago but I was driving and didn't get a really good look at it. It was definitely a squirrel and it was definitely white, however.

We have both grey squirrels and red squirrels on our property in upstate New York.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I wouldn't want to eat a squirrel, the tail would just hang out of the sandwich
Old
Send a message via AIM to 1stAngel Send a message via Yahoo to 1stAngel Send a message via Skype™ to 1stAngel
LOL its still cute, dont worry

If you really are interested, red squirrels are protected now... they cull the grey...

Here is a writeup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Squirrel#Conservation
Old
ABW Ambassador
Rhea - "We have both grey squirrels and red squirrels on our property in upstate New York."

I've never seen the red ones before. The white ones I think are actually pretty.

Julian - " I wouldn't want to eat a squirrel, the tail would just hang out of the sandwich"

heee, heeee lol Me neither

ok.....ya take one black guy squirrel and introduce him to a white lady squirrel......ya get a gray squirrel

They have little baby squirrels. Take one of them baby guy squirrels.....introduce him to a red lady squirrel.......you could get maybe a pinky color squirrel or maybe mauve??

Continue on and have a black guy squirrel.....introduce him to a red lady squirrel......ya get maybe a dark reddish, light black squirrel

Hmmmm.....ya gettin my point?? If ya start introducing all these different shades of blacks, grays, reds, mauve and pink squirrels......sooner or later ya might get a

Purple Squirrel Ya never know????
Old
ABW Ambassador
awwwwh, thank you 1stAngel
just read that article. They are adorable little fellas. Loved the little baby one.
Old
I was thinking... red is a part of purple.....so if a red squirrel felt a little blue.........
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
lol, that isn't how color genetics work purplebear, but we'll let you think so

I have photos of the white squirrel in Prospect Park Brooklyn, and black squirrels in Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park, and Bronx Zoo and NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. After I saw a black squirrel for the first time last year, I did research and found out there are lots of them around NYC. I haven't seen a red one.

The white squirrel is apparently quite famous, it isn't albino, it doesn't have red eyes. I'll see if I can dig up the images and post them.
Old
Fighting the good fight...
Send a message via AIM to Convergence
"Where's Eddie? He usually eats these *** damn things."
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convergence
"Where's Eddie? He usually eats these *** damn things."
Ha ha. I just watched that movie tonight while wrapping presents. Still makes me laugh hard.
Old
ABW Ambassador of Chocolate
"Skippy the squirrel,"

Afterall the damage the squirrles have done to the back of my house... I don't think so..

Skip
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
I wouldn't want to eat a squirrel, the tail would just hang out of the sandwich
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall demonstrates how to cook squirrel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcfqGhfgxo

Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
What a cute little purple guy!

I know how this squirrel got to be:

He's magical. He was a child's purple stuffed squirrel and the child loved him so much, he wished for his squirrel to be "real." Voila! :-)

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old
15 years and counting
You're in the Christmas spirit, Rexanne. Good story.
Old
ABW Adviser Panel
We have black squirrels very near to where I live, but at the moment we have greys (interlopers from North America). The black squirrels are very much more aggressive than the greys and out-compete them.. just as the greys out-competed the native red squirrel.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search