Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

What are shutters made of curtains called???

Tools Search
Old
Yup, Sure ... now let me check ...
What are shutters made of curtains called???

This may seem like a really weird question, but I have been unable to find the name for it anywhere. My wife wants me to build or buy shutters for the inside of our upstairs bathroom window. However, instead of the usual adjustable wood slats, she wants curtains suspended between a top and bottom rod within the wood frame of each shutter.

She pointed one of these things out in the background of the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond". However, I have not seen such curtains/shutters anwhere else and cannot seem to find them online, but neither my wife nor I have any idea what they are called. Does anyone on ABW have any idea what I'm trying to ask about?

Regular adjustable wood shutters I would just plain need to buy, but I could probably build the kind of shutters she wants. I have some carpentry backgound and have built a number of things for around the house in the past.
Old
Affiliate Manager
There is no name for it actually. It is a wood frame that instead of slats you mount curtain fabric on top and bottom rods inside the frame. It is easy to make but I doubt you will find it pre-made that will fit a bathroom window. Chances are you will have to make the frame. You can then buy spring rods that you can insert into drilled holes on the top and bottom and voila!!

Thank you for your question and I hope you will tune into the ALH - DIY network for more great tips on dressing up that ol house!!
Old
Thanks ALH for the response. You are probably correct in all you say, although I hope you are wrong about there not being a distinctive name for them. The reason I want to find a name for them is so I can look them up online. So far I have not been able to find out anything about them.

I'm sure I could build them myself and make them look store-bought, but I would like some ideas on how the rods are attached. I've condered using spring rods like you suggested, but wooden dowel rods would really look great. However, using dowels rods raises the issue of how to get the rods in and out so you can wash or replace the curtains.

I suppose I need to tune into the ALH - DIY network to learn more.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
affiliate emeritus
Fabric Shutters?
Old
Affiliate Manager
There are spring rods available that have a wood finish. That would be the simplest solution. However, depending on the width of the frame, a dowel can be bent slightly to remove or place inside the frame (into the holes you drill for it). The key there is to cut the dowel accordingly. For instance, if the inside frame width is 20", a 3/8" dowel cut to 20 1/2" will easily bend for placement and removal.

You can also consider drilling the holes all the way through the frame so the dowels slide in and out completely. If the frame is mounted inside the window jams, this would never show. If they are mounted outside the jam or window frame, buy the little wood buttons that furniture makers use and place one into each hole, then stain them the same color as the frame and you have it!! It looks great and the buttons can easily be popped out when you want to clean or replace the fabric. I've made them before and either of the above will work great for you.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
However, using dowels rods raises the issue of how to get the rods in and out so you can wash or replace the curtains.
Easy, just don't glue the dowels into the frame. Drill holes (same as for the spring rods) instead.

Use some kind of hidden method to hold the frame onto the wall, so when the frame's attached to the wall (or inside the main window frame, however you want), that attachment actually holds it together by not allowing room for the dowels to slip out of the frame holes. Then when it's time to wash/replace, just de-attach the frame, pull one side off, slip off the old curtains, replace with new and presto! Of course, for this to work, the frame itself has to be dismantleable enough to allow you to pull the one side off.

I hope I wrote this as clear as I'm visualizing it...
Old
Are you talking about Roman Blinds?
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
This site has what you are looking for, http://www.riverwoodcompany.com/generic72.html
Old
Quote:
Michael Coley wrote:
Are you talking about Roman Blinds?
No, not Roman Blinds. I looked them up just to make certain. Picture Louver shutters, but with a curtain where the louvers belong. Here is a good picture of louver shutters: http://www.shutterland.com/ .
Quote:
Leader wrote:
I hope I wrote this as clear as I'm visualizing it...
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. I am trying to describe something that a lot of people have probably never seen, or at least haven't actually noticed.
Quote:
missdonna wrote:
Fabric Shutters?
I looked up the term just now and it turns out there are such things, but it refers to a fabric panel rather than a curtain. But it sure comes close!
Quote:
ALH wrote: if the inside frame width is 20", a 3/8" dowel cut to 20 1/2" will easily bend for placement and removal.
Although the window is about 4 feet wide, we don't want them to open too far out into the room. So I want to have 2 panels on the left side and 2 panels on the right side. Each of the four panels would be about one foot wide, so I don't think I could bend the dowel rods enough. However, I do like both your's and Leader's ideas on drilling the holes all the way through the frame. I'll have to see if I can find the right kind of wood buttons. That is the direction I have been leaning, although I'll also have to take a look at wood grain spring rods.

Thanks everone for your help. Any more ideas or suggestions?
Old
Quote:
Crocket wrote:
This site has what you are looking for, http://www.riverwoodcompany.com/generic72.html
THAT's THEM!!!

So missdonna's suggested name was pretty close. It appears they are called fabric insert shutters. I think my wife's idea is to be able to tie a ribbon around the center of each fabric panel so she can give it a more open look whenever she wants. She also wants the panels to cover just the bottom half of the window as in the pictures shown at the bottom of the page.

Now that I have the name for them, maybe I can find some examples of how the store-bought shutters have the rods installed.

Of course, even though I'm sure I could custom build the things myself, the actual fabric panels will be up to my wife to come up with. I don't know the first thing about a sewing machine.
Old
Years ago Hubby and I moved into an older farm house. The kitchen cabinets were all open front, so I came up with something similar to those in the link I posted.

It took me forever to build the frames and sew the curtains. It only took our sons about 5 minutes to destroy my work with their grubby paws lol

You will have to post a picture of your finished bathroom window
Old
These have wood rods for hanging the fabric

http://www.diyshutters.com/Standardfabric.htm
Old
ABW Ambassador
Wooden dowels could be attached with the same kind of hardware/brackets that are used to put up the rods for cafe curtains (very similar but no wood frame).

Doing the fabric is easy, it's just cutting the right height with room for hemming, and width for the width needed plus gathers (about 2x the width total), then narrow hemming the raw edges on the sides, and then folding over the amount needed top and bottom to fit around the dowels with the edge tucked in just enough to hide the raw edge, and sewing straight stitching to sew it down.

The "loops" made on top and bottom can be slid onto the dowel rod, which is then put up by slipping right into the cafe-curtain brackets. Those can be brass if wanted.

Instead of just one piece across there can be two, so that they can be opened some in the middle to see out and let some more light in.

Last edited by webworker; November 2nd, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old
Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek
TARPS!
Old
LOL, elbowcreek.

I know there is a tarp manufacturer in your town and if it's OK to ask, I have always wondered what your relationship is with them. Are you an employee, owner, or a customer to them? I ask since I assume they are the source of the tarps you sell online.

Webworker, cafe curtain brackets would be well worth looking at, but I would have to find one that would fit completely within the frame and I don't know (yet) if that type even exists. If they stuck out on either the front or back of the frame then they would interfere with opening and folding the pair of panels on each side of the window.

Charpaula, thanks for the link. I wish they would show a closeup of the rods or at least explain how they fit into the frame. However, now that I have a better grasp on what the things are called, maybe now I can find some good examples on the net to give me more ideas.

Thanks everone for your input. Please keep them coming. If I ever get the things built, maybe I can post a picture of them here as Crocket suggested.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search