Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

What's a "Sweet Bippy"?

Tools Search
Old
What's a "Sweet Bippy"?

On occasion my wife uses the phrase "You can bet your sweet bippy". And I've also heard it many times over the years. Now I've been thinking about the phrase and was wondering just what the hell is a sweet bippy?!?! So I asked my wife got a blank stare in return. I guess she doesn't know either.

Well, I decided to throw "sweet bippy" in the ol' Google search engine and this is what I found:

"You bet your sweet Bippy!" - Silly word used on the comedy variety ROWAN & MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN/NBC/ 1968-73. During one episode of the program, the audience got some insight as to what a "Bippy" was:

Dick: May the Good Fairy sprinkle stardust on your bippy.
Dan: Just a minute now. I've been meaning to ask you; what's a bippy?
Dick It's a baby bip.
Dan: Then what's a bip?
Dick: It's a big bippy.
Dan: Are you sure?
Dick: You bet your sweet bippy, I'm sure!

The "Bippy" word later inspired the title of a Rowan & Martin film The Maltese Bippy (1969). Once Liberace said "I bet my sweet bippy and lost it!"

Also:
: BIPPY - A jocular euphemism for ass, as in "bet your (sweet) bippy) by Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, an NBC-TV comedy series. It was discussed, this reference tells us, in "Comments on Ety.", in Jan. 1982, but none of the discussion is included. From "Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, Volume 1, A-G" by J.E. Lighter, Random House, New York, 1994.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown
Old
ABW Veteran
I'm sorry but,

The whole idea of "You can bet your sweet bippy" can't be possible.

"You can bet your bippy" is ok because it's like saying, "You can bet your "

But once the word "sweet" is included in there, that is a lie. Why?

Because the word sweet =

Noun: sweet
1 - A dish served as the last course of a meal.
2 - A food rich in sugar.
3 - The taste experience when sugar dissolves in the mouth.
4 - The property of containing sugar.

Adjective: sweet
1 - Having a pleasant taste (as of sugar)
2 - One of the four basic taste sensations; very pleasant; like the taste of sugar or honey.

So who has tasted a sweet bippy in their life?
Only comes out of any and all bippy's, the only real sweet bippy that can be found in nature, is that of a honey bee bippy.

Old
@ Mr.Sal,

You make some very valid points there but I've seen many a sweet bippy in my day, figuratively speeking of course

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
Must be an acquired taste. Todays kids loosly use the term 'SWEET' to apply to anything ...even the tasteless.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to inflatemouse
All your butt jokes are well and good but "Bippy" is a pet name for a pacifier . Thats the whole baby talk exchange from Laugh In.
At least that is how they used the word in my family......but maybe my Grandma was telling the kids to suck on their @$$ -- she did drink a lot .
Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
ROLMAO ... I thought those pacifiers were called "Binky's" not Bippys. Shows you how much I paid attention to nic-names when the toddlers were screaming all those years ago. My only challenge was to quiet the crying even if it meant dipping my thumb in a liqueur and letting them suck. When they got older putting a $20 in their mitts seemed to work fine.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search